What We Do
Marion County 6th-8th graders: Click here to learn about how you can participate in the 2013 Project Safe Place Poster Billboard Contest!
Project Safe Place provides help for children in Marion County who are in crisis or potential crisis situations and who may require or shelter care. Children can seek help at over 194 sites, which are located throughout the community and identified by yellow-and-black, diamond shaped Project Safe Place signs. 300 Indy Go buses are currently also "mobile" Safe Place sites. Administered by Children's Bureau in Marion County, Project Safe Place is a national program which provides help to children and teens across the country.
Safe Place agencies offer parents:
- Youth shelters that can help you prevent a runaway episode by discussing your concerns or warning signs you've identified and directing you to the appropriate services.
- A "time-out" or cooling-off period to reduce tensions when family conflicts reach a boiling point.
- Local and national resources that can assess you in contracting those that could be of most assistance if your teen leaves home.
- Family counseling directly or through referrals to other professionals when the child returns home.
Safe Place offers teens:
- Safe Place sites at businesses, public locations and sometimes mobile units that display the distinctive yellow and black logo. The staff at these sites are trained by shelter staff and know how to respond to any youth in crisis.
- A Safe Place shelter staff that understands and is willing to listen when teens and families are confused and upset.
- Safe Place agencies that can provide temporary shelter for teens who have already left home. Teens are safe and are assisted in resolving the problem that caused them to run. Families are notified upon youth's arrival at the Shelter and are encouraged to engage in crisis-intervention for the family.
- The National Runaway Switchboard is available if you are not familiar with the youth shelter in your community. To be connected with the shelter closest to you call 1.800.RUN.AWAY.
FOR HELP IN MARION COUNTY CALL: 317.634.KIDS (317.634.5437)
Download the Safe Place Brochure.