Current Foster Parents

Below are links to forms and materials you may need as a Children’s Bureau foster parent. Many of these are referenced in the Foster Parent Handbook that you received when you began the licensing process. Please let us know if you need a form that you do not see listed here.

Annual Review Forms for Foster Parents
Application Renewal for Foster Parents
Medical Forms for Children in Placement
Training for Foster Parents
Independent Living Services Forms
Other Forms
Clothing Standards Inventory Respite Information Sheet Direct Deposit Enrollment Form (For use when a foster parent needs to change their banking information for direct deposit of per diem payments)

We know that even current foster parents have questions, so we’ve compiled a list of the most common questions we receive from our current foster parents.

I’m licensed, but haven’t gotten a call for a placement yet. Is something wrong with my license?
Most likely, it means that the preferences you have given (age range, gender, race, behaviors) for the kind of child you would like to take in don’t match the referrals for the children needing placed. You can always check with the Assistant Director, who oversees placements, if you have questions or want to update your preferences.
I accepted a placement, but they were placed elsewhere. Is this common?
Yes, it can be. Typically, when DCS needs to place a child in a foster home, they explore multiple options simultaneously, including the child’s family members.  Multiple workers may be reaching out to families at the same time. When a match is found, the focus changes to helping get the child settled into their placement. Unfortunately, we may not be immediately notified that a foster home has already been found. DCS may also change course after committing a child to your home, if an appropriate biological family member is found and approved.
Who should I expect to be on my foster child’s team?
There may be a lot of people on your child’s team, from a DCS family case manager (FCM) to a court-appointed special advocate (CASA) to therapists or other supports. Your child will also have a Children’s Bureau Foster Care Case Manager assigned to them.
How do I know what services my foster child qualifies for?
When a child is placed in foster care, the DCS family case manager will complete an assessment that helps determine the child's level of needs and services, as well as what community mental health services they might qualify for. Your Children’s Bureau FCCM will also help identify what services might be needed through the intake process and ongoing assessment. All foster parents who work outside the home qualify for CCDF, although there is an application process and can be a waitlist. Other services are available, such as free and reduced school lunches or school fees, WIC, and free or discounted cost for memberships, camps, and activities in your community.
Do I need to attend court or plan for my foster child to attend?
Your foster child will have a review hearing with the court every 90 days. The assigned FCCM will attend the hearings to monitor progress towards permanency. Many times foster parents are also invited, although you are not required to attend. It is required that children over the age of 14 are informed of the hearings and have the opportunity to attend whenever possible.
I have forgotten how to complete the medication log. Do you have an example?
You can find an explanation of how to complete the MARs in the Foster Parent Handbook (section 13). We know there’s a lot of paperwork when you’re a foster parent, and sometimes you need a refresher – the Foster Parent Handbook is always a good place to start.
Can you remind me about reimbursement for holiday and birthday gifts?
Of course! There is an entire section on holiday and birthday gift reimbursement in the Foster Parent Handbook (section 22).
Am I allowed to get my foster child's hair cut?
If your child has a plan of reunification, drastic shortening of hair length or styles that require harsh chemicals (such as perms and straighteners) require consent of the parents or DCS.  Hair may grow longer naturally and hair styling may occur without permission, as long as the hair is nicely maintained.  However, biological parents have the right to ask for hair to be cut. Please note: Baby’s first haircut can be a significant and emotional event for some families. Please get permission from the biological parents for the first haircut. If a child has been freed for adoption, DCS generally allows the pre-adoptive family to make decisions about hair length and style.
Can our foster child travel with us on vacations?
You can take your foster children on family vacations or trips as long as you have obtained permission from the DCS county office. However, there may be reasons that your foster child cannot accompany you, such as travel restrictions or important appointments.  It is important to allow plenty of time to obtain the correct permissions, especially if the child will require a passport for travel.
When should I expect my first maintenance payment?
Per diem is provided to foster parents the month following the service provided.  For example, you would be paid in July for each night the child spent with you in June. Typically, payments are dispersed no later than the 8th of the month. The maintenance payment timing is further detailed in (you guessed it) the Foster Parent Handbook (section 14).
I have a school-aged placement, and I don’t know how to enroll them in school.
Your FCM will be able to assist you with this process and it is usually fairly painless. You will need a copy of the child’s placement letter to get started (this is typically given to you by the DCS FCM, but your Children’s Bureau FCCM can also provide it). Most school districts are familiar with registering foster children and often times, the school can contact the child’s previous school to transfer everything they need.
I'm not sure how I feel about vaccinations. Does this impact my ability to accept foster placements?
All mandatory vaccines are required in order to obtain a foster parent license. Voluntary vaccinations, such as flu, hepatitis, shingles, HPV, etc., are not required for foster families. All foster children are required to have or catch up on and remain current on all mandatory vaccines. Unless otherwise recommended by a physician, foster children must also receive seasonal flu and HPV vaccinations.
My spouse and I decided to separate. Will our foster child have to move to a new foster home?
We're always sorry to hear when one of our families experiences a difficult personal loss.  In this situation, the first thing to do is notify our licensing department, so we can make the required adjustments to your license. If you currently have foster children in your home, please notify your Children’s Bureau FCCM to discuss planning for the child.  If possible, it’s generally preferred the child remain in your care.